- If I am moving what do I need to do to move my DSL?
- What to do if I cannot browse the internet?
- How do I find a local dial-up number?
- How do I configure my computer to connect to the Internet?
- I lost my password, what should I do?
- Which email programs/clients do you support?
- How do I configure my Outlook Express?
- How do I access mail from a browser?
- How come I can't connect at 56K?
- How do I cancel my dial up account?
- When are my monthly service fees due by?
- How do I connect to America Online through Host.net's dialup service?
- My question is still not answered, who do I contact?
If I am moving, what do I need to do to move my DSL?
Complete the DSL Move Request Form Linked below and fax it to the number on the document.
DSL Move Request Form
What to do if I cannot browse the internet?
- Power cycle the modem/router.
- If you have no sync light, check to see if you have dial tone on the phone line. If, not contact your telephone line provider.
- If there is dial tone, check to see if there is a filter on the line, remove it and power cycle the modem/ router.
- If you still cannot get online or browse, contact the NOC at 1-888-556-iNOC.
How do I find a local dial-up number?
Depending upon what type of Host.net dial-up account you subscribe to, there are two seperate banks of dialup numbers. Click here to be taken to our dial-up information page that includes a search wizard if you subscribe to US national service.
How do I configure my computer to connect to the Internet?
You will find a step-by-step explanation in our dialup tutorial section.
I lost my password, what should I do?
Call our customer support line at 1-888-556-iNOC (1-888-556-4662). You'll need to provide the last four digits of the credit card you used to open the account.
Which email programs/clients do you support?
Currently we support Microsoft Outlook Express, which ships with all versions of Microsoft Windows. We support Microsoft Outlook, which ships with Microsoft Office as well. Although you can use any other email client that uses POP3/SMTP protocols, you won't be able to receive technical support from our team should you need it.
How do I configure my Outlook Express?
Please follow the following step by step instructions for confirguring your Outlook Express
- Double Click on "Outlook Express"
- From the Menu Bar go to "Tools"
- Choose "Account"
- Choose the Mail tab, click on "Add"
- From the Add menu, choose "Mail"
- Type in your name (John Smith), Click "Next"
- Type in your email address (email@example.com), Click "Next"
- Type in your POP3 and SMTP server names (mail.yourdomain.com), Click "Next"
- Confirm your email name (john), type in your password
- Confirm your mail server name (mail.yourdomain.com)
NOTE: If you are on a LAN choose "Connect using my Local Area Network (LAN)". If you are not choose "Connect Using my Phone Line", Click "Next"
- Choose "Use Existing dial-up connection", choose Host.net, Click "Next"
- Choose "Finished"
You have now created your email account. Choose "Close" on the open window. Exit off off your Outlook Express and restart your computer. Once you computer has restarted, you may open your Outlook Express and begin sending and receiving your email.
For additional information please visit Microsoft Outlook Express
How do I access mail from a browser?
If you have your own domain name and the mail is hosted by us, you can type http://mail.yourdomainname/, and this will bring you to your web interface that allows you to control your mail accounts and access to the full web-based mail interface. At the moment, users with @host.net email addresses do not have access to web based mail. This is being corrected and should be available soon.
How come I can't connect at 56K?
You can't actually connect at a true 56K. The FCC for example limits your local phone company's connections to 53K. However, chances are you're not even achieving a true 53K. Typical initial connection speeds are between 42K and 48K, however, depending upon your line quality, this may vary throughout the call. Your modem will adjust as needed. Please also be aware that the maximum upstream connection you can achieve (without compression) is 33.3K. This is a technical limitation on the v.90 technology.
How do I cancel my dial up account?
You need to email our support and supply the last four digits of the credit card you used to open the account.
When are my monthly service fees due by?
Before the service for that period starts. For example, if your service period is October 1st-October 31st, we must have your payment prior to October 1st or your service will be suspended. The only way our company can sustain its service is to only offer service to those that pay for service. We cannot offer free service.
How do I connect to America Online through Host.net's dialup service?
Simply switch to or sign up for AOL's 'Bring Your Own Access' plan, currently priced at $14.95/month and follow these directions:
To connect to America Online using Host.net, you need to follow steps A and B below.
These steps will help you:
- Create a New Location on AOL.
- Connect to AOL via the New Location.
A. Create a New Location on AOL for use over your Internet connection with Host.net:
- On the AOL Sign On screen, click SETUP.
- On the AOL Setup screen, click the ADD LOCATION button.
- On the Add Location screen, change the default name for the new location to "Home - via ISP".
- Click "Select a custom connection (for example, TCP/IP)", then click NEXT.
- At the Add Number (Connection) screen click on the pull down arrow next to "Connect Using:" and select "TCP/IP: LAN or ISP", then click OK.
- Select "Dial Up ISP" from the "Automatic Connection Script" pull down box, then click OK.
- Click CLOSE.
- Continue to Section B below.
- Connect to AOL via your Internet connection with Host.net:
- Connect to your Internet connection with Host.net.
- Bring up your America Online sign-on screen by clicking on your AOL icon.
- On the AOL Sign On screen, select "Home - via ISP" from the Select Location pull down box (This is done by clicking on the downward pointed arrow at the right hand side of the box).
- Click SIGN ON.
This should successfully connect you to AOL, with both AOL and your Internet connection from Host.net running simultaneously.
My question is still not answered, who do I contact?
You can either call our Network Operations Center at 1-877-388-4678 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.